The deadline for research article submissions has passed for our summer 2021 issue, but we are still accepting book reviews (between 500-750 words) and critical commentaries (of no more than 1500 words) on issues in the field of history. Examples of critical commentary submissions include thought pieces, analyses of current events in historical perspective, and quirky historical or archive stories. We welcome graduate students to submit book reviews and critical commentaries by March 4th to be considered for publication in our summer 2021 issue.
We are particularly interested in commentaries addressing the following topics:
- History in the Time of Covid: How do we practice, learn, and teach history during the COVID-19 Pandemic? How have travel restrictions, program delays, and social isolation impacted research and writing practices, and individual mental health? How have social inequities materialized and intensified due to COVID-19 in both local (for e.g. in urban geography of spread) and global (for e.g. food (in)security in the developing word) contexts?
- Public health and the Covid-19 Pandemic in historical perspective
- Black Lives Matter and racial justice advocacy: How do we tackle legacies of white supremacy and (neo)colonialism in history-writing and the university? What is/are the future(s) of critical race studies?
- Current trends and historical perspectives on indigenous rights and activism
- Popular and public history: engaging with wider audiences and readerships in TV, film, podcasting, video games, and other media
- Ecology and the Environment in 2021: examining natural disasters, food scarcity, and environmental advocacy across national borders
If you have another idea for a critical commentary, please reach out to us at email@example.com to “pitch” your story. We will also be accepting short book reviews and critical commentaries covering a range of topics on a rolling basis. Submissions and pitches sent to us after the March 4th deadline will be considered and reviewed by the editorial team for publication on our website.